Skid

Image 1

Prior to pallets being developed in the early 1920’s, skids were sometimes used for wooden crates, boxes, barrels, and kegs. It was the during the early 1920’s The invention of the modern forklift forced skids evolving into pallets. The skid was a simple wooden surface that goods could be stacked on. Skids have no bottom board. The exposed stringers made dragging easier than the later pallets they evolved into.

Since I model c.1920 I needed skids rather than pallets. I wanted something that the goods could be stacked on and then they and the skid lifted via rope and tackle. I followed that idea with the design of my skid (Image 1).

Boxes

Fig 1

This stack of boxes (Fig 1) was a file that Walt Gillespie and I traded back and forth. I thought that I might as well see how they printed. They would probably be generic enough. It was only after printing them off that I realized how nicely they were stacked. I think that I may rework the file so there is more of a random pattern to how they stack.

The dimensions shown are mm. The single box would be 14.5″x8.5″x6.4″ … about right to contain legal sized paper.

Printed

I printed out a pair of the stacked boxes. The sides opposite the camera are pretty scared by the supports but that will be hidden by a tarp. I primered and then brushed on some Apple Barrel Khaki acrylic. I think used MIG Brown and Dark washes. I had planned to brush paint the Khaki afterwards but I think the stain on the faces looks fine .. like the boxes had gotten wet and dirty.

I may make up some labels .. depends on how lazy I actually am. It came to me that such a stack of boxes would not remain neatly stacked without something keeping the boxes in place. That gave me the idea that a cargo net would make sense – keeping the boxes restrained and neat and add to the scene.

Netting

To keep the boxes in place I used a piece of wedding veil material sprayed with a green pant. The ‘eye’ from a hook and eye clothing closure is used to create small eyebolts. I will use these to strap down everything.

The wire of the eye is 0.020″ diameter. A quick snip and the leg straightened and I had semi-scale eyebolts. Full-size these would be eyebolts with a 4.8″ eye and 1″ shank. Next is to come up with an acceptable strapping.

Strapping and Tarping

I ended up just using a heavy thread to strap everything down. The tarp was made using facial tissue and CAF .. Concrete Acrylic Fortifier. I have been using this product which can be purchased at Lowes or Home Depot in the cement additive section of the store.

I find it preferable to white glue and water as it comes ready mixed looking and acting much like milk. It has a bluish tint when wet but dries clear and hard. I use it for anything I need to set that I would previously use a 50/50 white glue and water mix.

Wall Greebles

I reworked my Wall Greebles with the addition of some lifting brackets. Since these were “on hand” as digital CAD files this was relatively easy. Having a resin printer didn’t hurt either.

0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments