Sump Well Piping

Old drawing .. lots of changes to the design. This was with the idea of using 1/8″ Evergreen tubing and my gate valves for that size tubing. I decided against the gate valves shown in the Sketchup drawing. A couple of reasons … I changed the tubing size based on some HVAC elbows I had ‘on hand’ so the gate valves would no longer work and thinking about it .. it made sense that any such valves would be on the inside of the pump house.

Sump Cover

The Sump Cover. I designed this to print on my FDM printer .. Prusa i3 MK3 with a .4 mm nozzle. It came out .. well .. call it .. “good nuff” for now. I have a .25 mm nozzle that I haven’t used yet .. this I think will be a good time to test it on a print. That will be later.

Test Fitting

I super-glued the HVAC elbows into lengths of Evergreen tubing and fit them into the openings in the Sump Covers.

I had a couple of ‘problems’ at this point – Ok. Not really ‘problems’ as such but call it ‘obstacles to overcome’ I guess. Aligning everything neatly. I needed a jig. I used my printer to print a bar with 4 studs sticking out to align the piping.

Bracket Jig

I decided to use Evergreen I-Beam fit to the pipes to hold them in alignment. I made a jig with studs the same size and spacing as the pipe. This way I could use the jig to file the I-Beam correctly.

The I-Beam sitting on the jig. I used a small round file then a larger round file used for chain saw sharpening. My feeling is that in the ‘real world’ the I-Beam someone would have used a torch instead of a very, very large file!!
Finally, the I-Beam filed to shape. This is a quick and dirty bit of modeling using what I had ‘on hand’ .. I figure there comes a time when you have to stop ‘thinking’ and start doing.

Glued Up

I glued up everything – the Evergreen tubing, the Rusty Stumps HVAC elbows and the Evergreen I-Beams. At the very bottom in the photo you just see the spacing bar with studs I printed to align the ends of the tubing.

Primed

I used Tamiya Fine Surface Primer to prime the model. This gave a base for further color and weathering.

Paint and washes

The pipes were given a base metallic gray color using FolkArt 5119E Brushed Silver acrylic paint. This was then followed by a blotch rusty wash.

Stain

I used a thin paint to stain the steps. This can be anything but it needs to be really thin so it stains rather than paints the surface.

LOTs of stains

The steps are nice and dirty and stained. Ready for next step which will be to add railings.

I ran into a problem here though …  look at the width of the steps.

0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments