V3

Version 3. The changes from earlier versions are actually slight enough that I could have called this something like V2A1.

The changes consists of things like enlarging the shaft holes. adding braces, moving supports and such.

Footings

The footings went thought their won evolution. The height was just eyeballed to raise the breaker up a bit.

They ended up 18.8 mm which ends up about 3 ft. This would/should/could be plenty of room for a conveyor belt. If not – they could easily be made taller.

The footings would weigh 2140 lbs. The bolt sticking out of the top not only is used to bolt down the frame but can be used to lift the footing. I also printed off a jig to hold them in alignment.

Frame

The frame went through several changes over time. The biggest change being changing the breaker case support from angle to a cast part, moving it to sit on top of the frame cross-member and adding rubber isolation pads that the case would actually sit on. The last change was to open up the shaft holes to 3.5 mm . this being the CAD measurement and accounts for shrinkage of the print during curing to the needed 3.175 mm

Case

While the overall design of the case did not change THAT much, there were various changes made for printing.

  • Originally the case was split into an upper and lower section so the rollers on shafts could be inserted. I had problems with warping at the join through the shaft holes. This earlier version had the upper part of the case not opened up like you see here. I joined the two halves and opened the top up so the rollers could be inserted.
  • Like the frame, I opened up the shaft holes to 3.5 mm which allowed for shrinkage of the cured print so the 1/8″/3.175 mm shafting would fit nicely.
  • I added fillets to the lower chute which strengthened that part and allowed printing without a mess of supports.

Chute

The chute ran into a couple of changes. Originally the lower part with the fillets (without the fillets at the time) was the top of the case. I cut that off of the case so I could add the rollers, added a chute to the top and then added the fillets – which not only strengthened the part but I think added to the ‘look’.

Rollers

The rollers went through their own variations … I attempted to print them in two parts at first but decided that was simply too much of a hassle and reworked them into a single piece. The shaft holes also changed to 3.5 mm dia

0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments