Grażyna

Grażyna

Grażyna [ɡraˈʐɨna] is a Polish feminine given name. The name was created by the Polish poet Adam Mickiewicz for the main character of his 1823 poem Grażyna. The name is derived from the Lithuanian adjective gražus, meaning “pretty”, “beautiful”

Built as S/S Schilksee in 1927 in Germany by Howaldtswerke AG. The dimensions of the ship were ~ 100 X 23 X 7 feet. She carried a 6 cylinder diesel engine and had a top speed of 10 knots. She had a capacity of 130 passengers.

The Soviets used her during WWII, named “Uranium”. She then served under Poland with the name “Grazyna”.

This would be a pretty good size for an O scale layout. In 1:48 the ship would be ~ 25 x 5-3/4 x 1-3/4 inches. That last dimension for my purposes could be ignored since I would build it as a waterline model.

The other thing being I found lots of plans for this ship – which is a GOOD THING for a modeler. I suspect that these plans came from – s/s “Grazyna” – coastal passenger vessel AND a 19th century “tartana” boat Single Issue Magazine – May 1, 1987 (the plan shown is dated 1987).

Beauty

Since the idea is for a small ship that would preferable carry cargo instead of just passengers – as pretty as she is I think she needs modification. The size is right though for a starting point. Since Grażyna translates as “pretty” or “beautiful” .. I’ll name my version “beauty” .. at least for now.

Mod 1

Mod 1 – I shortened the cabin by about half. I suppose this could represent a dual purpose craft carrying both passengers and cargo. The problem with this is that makes little sense to me as .. what do you do with the space front and back of the cabin?

Mod 2

Mod 2  – Here I moved the cabin way forward. This would leave room for a large cargo hatch(s) at the rear. It would need a cargo boom I think .. possibly move that mast back for that .. which would make sense.

Honestly it makes a lot of sense. With the mast moved back just shy of the cabin.

The problem I have with this mod is simply that .. to me .. is ugly.

Mod 3

Mod 3 – Finally, I used the shortened cabin and moved t0 to the rear. In a similar fashion where I had the cabin all the way forward the mast would probably be moved to jut in front of the cabin.

Interesting that I find this slightly better looking than the Mod 2. Not sure exactly why .. but .. there’s that.

I readily admit I know nothing of ships. If and when I get to the deck the ‘plan’ will have to be of course modified by further research and people who DO know boats telling me what to fix. It seems to me for example that all those stays from the mast would interfere with moving cargo. Shrug.

Waterline

I put the ship cross-section next to a side view and leveled them to confirm my guess that what is labeled W4 in the diagram is the water line of the ship.

This gave me enough information to start by creating the frames from the cross-section, slicing them off at the water line.

Keel and Framing

I brought the graphics into Sketchup to create a mesh that I could manipulate easier. I cut the framing off at the waterline. I still need to “get a handle” on the prow as I think .. I may need to re-think that .. but this is a good start. Which ever way I go .. if I add cargo hatches I imagine that part of the deck probably needs to be flatter – maybe .. so need to do some research there.

Note that I have one measurement – the Keel works out to 2.613 in. In O scale that is 0.054 in. .. so 1/16 in stock would work for that. The framing will be .. whatever .. since that won’t
show.

I got to thinking .. I need to see what I can use for the Keel. It measures just a little over 31 in. x just under 3-1/2 in. .. so before I go any further I need to see if I can locate stock that size that is 1/16 in. thick. If not need to see what I CAN find. Honestly it can be thicker then that – just the bit at the very front that shows would have to be to scale.

BALSA USA – has it in 1/16 x 6 x 48 – 3 ply and 1/8 x 6 x 48 – 5 ply Birch Aircraft Plywood. Since the only thing that will show is .. as I said .. the front end of the keel so it would make sense to go with the 1/8 in. plywood simply for the added strength.

Making stuff fit. Despite my best efforts, for some reason the bulkheads ended up taller than the keel they slot into. Shrug. Since I normally don’t allow reality to bother me too much I scaled the bulkheads to fit the keel. That will give the ship a lower profile which is fine with me. In any case, once I get the keel/bulkheads all done I will need to actually look at some model boat links to see what I am missing/need to change/add. The Stem needs to be rabbited so the planking fits nicely, adding the gunwhale .. that sort of thing.

Version 2 – or 3 .. I forget

I finally figured I was looking at the wrong line for the deck (insert .. duh) and re-worked it again .. and then again. Pretty much ok with this version.

Note: I still show the thin sections representing the section through the bulwark. I soon realized these needed to be deleted.

0 0 vote
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments