Fig 1

“The Talbot (Fig 1) was an automobile marque that existed from 1902 to 1992, with a hiatus from 1960 to 1978, under a number of different owners, latterly under Peugeot.” [1]
I have a couple of the Matchbox Models of Yesteryear Y-5 1927 Talbot – 1:47 scale issued in 1978.

The model works well as is .. except IMO .. the wheels and tires. Very toy-like and the tires are modern. I decided to to experiment a bit and see how that could be fixed.

[1] Talbot Wikipedia

Wheels and Tires

Fig 2

Taking a look at a couple of 1927 Talbots (Fig 2) it becomes quickly clear that the wheels and tires on the model are not correct.

Fig 3

Using the two photos I scaled the dimensions off them .. averaged the numbers and came up with this dimensioned drawing that I could use for the wheels. (Fig 3)

This was published back in 2012. In the past eight years I forget what I used to scale the wheels. It may have been the axle which I show as 2″ dia .. I think I may have compared that to a car of similar size from the same time-frame such as a Model A which I could get known dimensions from .. I am guessing ‘Engineering-wise’ the axles should be about the same dia. (ok. what we see are the grease caps .. but you know what I mean!)

Fig 4

Coker Tire had an on-line catalog. I managed to copy a graphic from an older version that supplied a sectional view of the tire profile from that year along with all the needed data. More then enough to re-create it in 3D (and just now realize I didn’t grab all the OTHER profiles. Darn).

When I scaled the wheels from the photos I got a 21″ dia. I used this which matched with the 1927 profile from Corker. This gave me the needed information. Their new catalog had a chart that provided the same information just not as ‘pretty’. Once you know what tire was on a car you can use this chart to get the other info needed: Rim Diameter, Rim Width, Tread Width, Section Width and Overall Diameter. (Fig 4)

Modeling in 3D

Fig 5

To create this tire in 3D in Sketchup I first need a profile of the tire. From the graphic showing the sectional view of a 1927 tire I could re-create that in Sketchup. I then adjusted the dimensions to meet those listed. In the diagram to the left the 4.3″ Section Width is taken directly from the chart. The 4.7″ height is simply subtracting the wheel DIA (21″) from the tire DIA (30.4″) and dividing by 2. The chart shows a 2.75″ width (the recommended with is 2.5″-3″) .. and you might wonder abou the 2.55″ dimension. That simply simulates the tire clinched inside the rim of the wheel .. this was the smallest detail thickness I could print in FUD .. which is about 3/16″ full-size so it should look ‘right’. (Fig 5)

Fig 6

Now we set up to ‘spin’ that profile in Sketchup. The rim diameter is 21″ so I set up a axis line that is 10.5″ from the bottom of the tire. The circle you see to the right, centered on that axis, is there to provide the path we will extrude the tire on. (Fig 6)

Fig 7

With that set up it is as simple as clicking the ‘rim’ of the circle .. the path .. and then the ‘Follow Me’ tool .. and then the surface of the tire profile. Yea. We have a tire. (Fig 7)

Shapeways Model

Fig 8

The complete Wheel and Tire Combo were printed by Shapeways – The wheel was quite a bit more complicated .. but only in an overall view of things. Individually pieces were constructed and rotated and duplicated in arrays .. and everything was joined to together to make a wheel and tire combo (Fig 8). In the description at Shapeways I say:

This is a wooden spoked wheel and tire c. 1927. Tire size 4.40; Outside Dia. 30.4″, Section Width: 4.3″; Wheel Rim Dia. 21″ .. and finally a 2.75″ rim width. The brake drum is attached to the back of the wheel. At this time what we think of as lug nuts/bolts were the best I can tell carriage bolts and inserted in reverse .. with the nut on the inside of the brake drum. This is a *good thing* – as it allows more depth for the model’s axle. The hole for that axle is .075″ which matches the axle on the Matchbox Models of Yesteryear 1927 Talbot.

Fig 9

The wheels printed and not yet cleaned (Fig 9). I was impressed at how well they printed … not so much how delicate they turned out. More on that later.

0 0 votes
Article Rating
Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments